- Recommended ages: 10+
- Cost: Free, with a paid membership option
- Minimum hardware: Windows XP/Vista, Broadband Internet, 512MB RAM
- ESRB Rating: E10+ with Crude Humor and Fantasy Violence (rating does not apply to user-generated online content)
- Plenty of things to see and do
- Parental controls for chat and user-submitted content
- Free membership allows for full game play
- Navigating the world can be cumbersome
Getting Started with Free Realms
When starting out, Free Realms asks users to decide between life as a human or a pixie. Users can start out quickly with a randomly designed character (avatar), or can take the time to customize everything from skin, eye and hair color to the type of clothes and facepaint to wear. Itâs fun to create your own character, so Iâd encourage everyone to set aside the time to do it right.
Next, users create a free account and download the Free Realms software. Keeping some of the software on your local machine makes it faster to travel around the world and access games. Make sure to set aside the time to get everything set up before starting to play.
When the game is loaded and your avatar is ready, itâs time to explore. Free Realms makes this relatively easy by providing a set of tutorials on how to move around the world, interact with other characters, build skills and choose a career. After completing the tutorials, itâs time to set out on your own. I admit that I found the world a bit more overwhelming once I was set free with all of the other players, but there are still plenty of prompts to help you figure out what to do next.
Life in Free Realms
Free membership in Free Realms allows you to pursue a variety of different careers, including Chef, Ninja, Pet Trainer and Demolition Derby Driver. There is a paid membership that allows for additional careers including Warrior, Blacksmith and Wizard. Players can progress in more than one career at a time by taking on quests and playing minigames.
While in Free Realms, players can do whatever they would likeâ¦ play games, earn virtual coins, take on quests or just chat with other players. There is a lot to explore and do. I spent some time working on building skill in my chosen careers and doing quests for other characters. I also learned how to take care of a virtual pet.
Paid Membership in Free RealmsA paid membership in Free Realms includes the following:
- Access to additional career choices
- The ability to create up to three different characters
- Ranking in the game leaderboards
- Access to additional items and quests